}

Monday, February 14, 2011

{Grandmas Cookies-Refrigerator Cookies aka icebox cookies}

Photo Compliments of  Rivka Friedman 

Now another story about my grandmother was she always liked to bake, she baked frequently, almost everyday and the funny thing she did when she baked is she always make trial cakes of cookies, checking to see if the recipe was right, need more flour or moisture, those were my fav's since they were the first out of the oven I got to help here taste test them, there was always something good in her kitchen.

She taught me how to bake pies and I remember the my first pie crust, well, I had to patch it together. And of course I have to mention that she made the best cookies, a refrigerator cookie that took a lot of preparation as you can imagine from the name they were made into a roll, then filled with a date filling, covered with wax paper, chilled overnight then sliced and baked, oh my gosh what I would give for some of those right now. So that is my story about my grandmother baking, but I wanted to share my grandmothers refrigerator cookie recipe:
1 cup white sugar                                      
1 cup chopped dates
1 cup water
Boil the first three ingredients for (10 minutes)  Let cool

Mix together:
1 cup nuts chopped fine
1 cup Crisco Shortening or unsalted butter soft but still firm
2 cups brown sugar packed
3 eggs well beaten

Mix together and add 4 cups white flour, 1 tsp. salt and 1 teaspoon of soda.
Mix well, place in refrigerator and let chill for 2 hours.
Roll out on sheet and spread with date mixture, then roll up like a jelly roll and let stand in refrigerator
over night.  They look like a cinnamon roll.

Slice about 1/2 inch think slices, bake in moderate oven 350* for about 11 minutes depending on your
oven, test at 9 minutes.

Cool and store in airtight container to keep soft.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment and following I appreciate it, and leave your link so that I can follow you, Thanks xoxo